The selection of a city to be awarded the European Green Capital for 2015 will be assessed on the basis of twelve environmental indicators:
- Climate change
- Local transport
- Green urban areas incorporating sustainable land use
- Nature and biodiversity
- Quality of local ambient air
- Quality of the Acoustic Environment
- Waste production and management
- Water consumption
- Waste water treatment
- Eco innovation and sustainable employment
- Environmental management of the local authority
- Energy performance
Information to be provided by the applicant cities:
In the application, cities are asked to provide the following information for 12 indicator areas.
The 2015 Award Application Form has 4 sections per indicator, with the exception of Indicator no. 3 which has 5 sections, as follows:
- Describe the present situation
- Describe the measures implemented over the last five to ten years.
- Describe the short and long term objectives for the future and proposed approach to achieve these.
- List how the above information can be documented, add links where possible. Further detail may be requested during the clarification phase. Documentation should not be forwarded at this stage.
Two-tier evaluation process
A panel of internationally acknowledged Experts will assess the information supplied by each city. This will include qualitative evaluations and a peer review of each application based on the 12 indicators above.
Following these evaluations, a number of cities will be shortlisted for the 2015 title. The shortlisted cities will be invited to present their action plans and communication strategies to the Jury.
Following these presentations the Jury will deliberate and the European Green Capital 2015 will be announced at an award ceremony in June 2013.
Key dates in 2012/2013
- 15th June 2012 – Launch of call for applications to be the European Green Capital 2015
- 15th October 2012 – Deadline for eligible cities to submit their application via the online application system
- November 2012 – March 2013 – Expert panel review of all applications including clarifications where needed
- April 2013 – Preparation of shortlisted cities
- April 2013 – Announcement of shortlisted cities
- May 2013 – Presentation of shortlisted cities to the Jury
- June 2013 – The 2015 winner is announced at a special awards ceremony