THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED. The winners of this year’s social media competition are Christian and Dana from Bacau, Romania. To read more about our winners click here or watch their winning video on line by clicking here.
Now there is even more opportunity to entre as the DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES EXTENDED TO 31ST JULY!!!
To enter the Official competition, entrants must produce a maximum 5 minute video (minimum length is 2.5 minutes) on the theme “What makes a city a European Green Capital?”
(By “Green” we are referring to the Environment and the characteristics of the European Green Capital Award- A European Green Capital provides us with valuable real-life examples of how respect for the environment, excellent quality of life and economic growth can all be successfully combined,”)
Entries should be submitted through the European Green Capital Award website (http://form.europeangreencapital.ie/social). It is recommended that a dedicated section for links to videos, be set up on the European Green Capital Award website with a link button from the home page for the duration of the competition. This page would not be on the Commission’s server but on our server to ensure that entries can be uploaded (in the same manner as the application forms for applicant cities). This will allow entrants to put in their required information, and also to view the T&Cs. We will be asking entrants to send us a link to their video, and have it hosted on a platform like YouTube or Vimeo. This will overcome difficulties with potential entrants sending large video files via email.
A panel of judges made up of 5 members of the Secretariat and the Commission will be set up and the criteria for assessing entries will be agreed and made available prior to the commencement of the competition.
The closing date for the receipt of entries has been extended to 5pm (Central European Time) on Tuesday 31st July 2012.
The judges will look for a creative, engaging and inspiring video on the topic of the Competition. Feel free to demonstrate your motion graphic skills. If your video will be shot with a camcorder, Hi-Definition is preferred (if possible) and use of tripod encouraged.
Your video will be judged on:
- Effectiveness and creativity in conveying your idea(s)
- Production quality
It should NOT contain any copyrighted material unless you bought the rights. Use only original music in your video (i.e., music that you have produced), or use royalty-free and/or rights-free music.
The organisers and judges reserve the right to remove any entries from the competition that they feel may breach any of these terms and conditions or contravene laws of public decency or may bring the entrant or the competition into disrepute. Such entries will be disqualified.
This includes videos that may be offensive, previously published, copyrighted (by somebody other than the entrant) or otherwise contrary to the spirit of the Competition. Videos may also not be accepted into the Competition if the focus of the video is an identifiable individual who has not given their consent to appear or if videos feature advertising or trademarks which would otherwise require the European Commission to obtain permission to use.
The Judges will also look at the entries in terms of the following 3 core points:
- Underpin the aim of the European Green Capital Award: “The general aim of the initiative is to improve the European urban living environment – and thus the environment as a whole. Currently, 3 out of 4 of the European population living in an urban environment, it is natural that cities play a key role in making the environment greener and improving the quality of life of its citizens.”
- Highlight one or more or all of the Green Capital Awards criteria:
- Local contribution to global climate change
- Local transport
- Green urban areas incorporating sustainable land use
- Nature and biodiversity
- Quality of local ambient air
- Noise pollution
- Waste production and management
- Water consumption
- Waste water treatment
- Eco innovation and sustainable employment
- Environmental management of the local authority
- Energy performance
3. Recognise local efforts to improve the environment, the economy and the quality of life in cities. The EGCA is given each year to a city, not necessarily a capital, which is leading the way in environmentally friendly urban living and which can thus act as a role-model to inspire other cities. Cities differ enormously and sharing concrete examples of what a European Green Capital can look like is essential if further progress is to be made.
The proposed prize is a trip for two to Vitoria-Gasteiz in 2012. This includes providing up to €500 per person (2 people in total) towards transport to and from Vitoria-Gasteiz, and preference would be for travel by the most sustainable form of transport, where feasible. The prize will also include two (2) nights accommodation in a three (3) star hotel for the winner and their plus one (1) guest (sharing one  room).
One of the conditions of accepting the prize is that the winner will make a video diary about his/her experience in Vitoria-Gasteiz to be used on Facebook, Twitter page and ezine (to be posted by the winner no later than a month after they have visited Vitoria-Gasteiz).
Terms & Conditions
The “What makes a city a European Green Capital” (“the Competition”) is run by the European Green Capital Awards (“EGCA”). All persons seeking to enter the Competition automatically agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions and should read these terms and conditions carefully. If you do not agree to be bound by these terms and conditions you may not take part in the Competition. Entries will be accepted only if they are in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- The Competition is being run by the DG Environment of the European Commission, but managed by the European Green Capital Award Secretariat, currently operated by RPS Group Limited, a registered company incorporated in Ireland, with its address at Block C, Cookstown Court, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Ireland (“the Competition Organisers”). The aim of the Competition is to increase awareness of the European Green Capital Award.
- Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these Terms & Conditions. By entering the Competition, entrants agree that if an entry does not comply with the technical, artistic or legal specifications set out herein or if DG Environment in its sole discretion requires, DG Environment shall be within their rights to disqualify any such entries. Submissions which do not relate to the topic will be automatically disqualified. Entries shall not contain any material and/or statement which violates or infringes in any way upon the rights of others which is unlawful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, vulgar, obscene, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable, which encourages conduct or is conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, gives rise to civil liability or otherwise violates any applicable law. Entries failing to comply with this provision will be disqualified without prior notification.
- The Competition winner will receive a weekend stay (two  nights) for two (2) persons over 18 years of age to the European Green Capital Vitoria-Gasteiz in Spain during 2012.
This will comprise of:
- Two (2) nights accommodation for two (2) adults in a three (3) star hotel (To be chosen by the Competition Organisers in or near Vitoria-Gasteiz). No cash or per diem will be given to the winner.
- Up to €500 or the equivalent of €500 towards transport to and from Vitoria-Gasteiz for each person (2 people in total). Preference, where possible, would be given to it being used for the most sustainable form of transport possible. Any additional costs would have to be borne by the competition winner. The winner will not be refunded more than €500 or the equivalent of €500. If the costs are stated in another currency than euro the equivalent in euro will be calculated using exchange rates of the ticket purchase’s date. The competition winner would need to provide receipts of transport and the Competition Organisers will refund the cost of travel. The winner is responsible to give full and exact bank details to the competition Organisers. If not the refund will no be made.
- To enter the Competition you must complete the Competition entry form online (which can be completed at the following http://form.europeangreencapital.ie/social). The closing date for the receipt of entries has been extended to 5pm (Central European Time) on Tuesday 31st July 2012. Entries must be submitted online at http://form.europeangreencapital.ie/social . Entrants must provide contacts details as set out in the Competition entry form and submit a maximum 5 minute video on “What do you think makes a city a European Green Capital?”
- The videos can be submitted in any of the following formats: MPEG-4, MPEG, V0B, 3GP, AVI, MKV, MOV, FLV.
- Entrants must host their video on a video channel (e.g. Vimeo or YouTube) and put the link to the video into their application form when entering. The video should be hosted as private video on these channels so that only people that are given permission to view the video can.
- Entry is limited to one per person.
- Entrants must be over 18 (eighteen) years of age on the closing date for receipt of entries. The Competition Organisers reserves the right to request written proof of age of the winner and his/her guest/accompanying person.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and address and/or photographs for publicity purposes by the Competition Organisers. No additional compensation will be awarded for such promotional activities. The winner also agrees make a short video diary about his/her experience in Vitoria-Gasteiz to be used on the European Green Capital’s website, Facebook page, Twitter page and ezine (to be submitted by the winner no later than a month after the awards ceremony). This should be a minimum of 2.5 minutes long and a maximum of 5 minutes long, and should be in one of the following formats: MPEG-4, MPEG, V0B, 3GP, AVI, MKV, MOV, FLV.
- Any video submitted must be the work of the individual submitting it and must not have been published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other video contest. Should a winning entry be the result of a team effort, the prize will be awarded to one representative of the team. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any video they submit has been taken with the permission of the eventual team. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any video they submit has been taken with the permission of the subject(s) and/or venue/location and does not infringe the copyright of any third party. Under no circumstances shall the Competition Organiser be held responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any potential violation of the preceding paragraphs. The entrant warrants that they own the copyright for the video and that their entry does not infringe the privacy rights, copyright or any other rights of any person. The entrant shall be liable and provide compensation in the event of any action, claim or proceedings brought against DG Environment by a third party as a result of the infringement of existing copyright caused by the entrant in participation to the contest.
- The entrant warrants that they have obtained permission from those pictured in the video (or where the video shows any person under 18, the consent of their parent/guardian) for the usage rights required by the Competition. Under no circumstances shall the Competition Organiser be held responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any potential violation of the preceding paragraph and the entrant will indemnify DG Environment against any claims made by any third parties in respect of such infringement.
- All visual elements embodied in each video must be fully cleared by the entrant for DG Environment’s use as part of the Competition and for any promotional use by DG Environment. Entrants must ensure that such use of their video as part of the Competition and any use by DG Environment shall not infringe the rights of any third parties or any applicable law, regulation, code, order, direction or by-law and entrants shall indemnify and keep DG Environment fully indemnified from and against any claim, damage, loss (whether foreseeable or not), liability or cost including reasonable legal fees in respect thereof.
- All entries will automatically become the property of European Commission. The Competition Organisers reserve the right to publish or broadcast online entries received or excerpts there from and in so doing will credit the author.
- There is one overall prize. The prize will be awarded to the best video, as determined by the judge(s) to be appointed by the Competition Organisers.
- The winner will be notified through the contact details provided with the entry form within 28 (twenty-eight) days of the closing date. All reasonable endeavours will be made to contact the winner during this time. If a winner cannot be contacted or is not available, the Competition Organisers reserve the award the prize to the second best entry as determined by the judges.
- The winner is responsible for ensuring they are able to accept the prize as set out and in accordance with these terms and conditions, in the event they are unable to do so then the Competition Organisers reserve the right to withdraw the prize.
- The winner is responsible for ensuring they have a valid European Union Passport or similar in order to be able to travel.
- The winner of the prize must respond (in writing / by email) within 14 (fourteen) days of notification being sent to his/her contact details as provided in his/her Competition entry form and in so responding must provide his/her full name and postal address. Failure to respond within the 14 (fourteen) days from notification being sent or providing a false name and/or postal address shall entitle the Competition Organisers to withdraw the prize.
- The Competition Organisers reserve the right to select an alternative winner in case the winner does not respond within the aforementioned time period or that the Competition Organisers has reasonable grounds for believing a participant has contravened any of these Terms and Conditions
- The judges’ decision is final and binding regarding the choice of the winner and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner will be announced on the www.europeangreencaptial.com website, and on EGC’s Twitter and Facebook pages.
- A participant is responsible for any costs, taxes, duties or levies incurred as a result of participating in or winning the Competition. In addition, the participant hereby agrees and accepts that by winning the Competition, the participant may incur taxes, duties or other levies including but not limited to any prize tax etc under any applicable laws and regulations. The participant hereby unconditionally accepts to bear any such tax, duty or other levy on behalf of participant or an accompanying guest.
- The Competition Organisers reserve the right to change any aspect of the prize.
- No alternative prize will be offered, and the prize is not transferable, cannot be deferred or exchanged for cash and is not negotiable.
- To the fullest extent permissible by law, neither the Competition Organisers nor their agents or service providers, shall be liable for any loss or damage, howsoever caused, whether in contract, tort, breach of statutory duty or otherwise, arising out of or in connection with the Competition and/or prize.
- In administering the Competition, the Competition Organisers will not collect more personal data from entrants than is absolutely necessary. This data, to be stored on paper or computer, will include name, address, and contact details of entrants. Any personal data that you provide while participating in the Competition will be used and disclosed by the Competition Organisers for all purposes reasonably connected with administering the Competition. You have a right to a copy of any personal data held by the Competition Organisers about you and to correct any inaccuracies in such personal data. If you would like to exercise either of these rights, please contact: The Project Manager, European Green Capital Award Competition, c/o RPS Group Limited, West Pier Business Campus, Dun Laoghaire, County Dublin, Ireland (email@example.com )
- The Competition Organisers will under no circumstance whatsoever, irrespective of the cause therefore, be liable for any loss, damage or personal injury to the winner, to any third party, nor to property, or else caused or suffered in connection with this Competition or any prize(s) awarded in connection herewith.
The Competition Organiser will under no circumstance whatsoever be liable for any delays, changes, disruptions, cancellations, diversions or substitutions, unavailability of the prize due to local public holidays or other conditions affecting availability or enjoyment of the prize, nor any act or omission whatsoever by any form of transportation and/or accommodation included in the prize. The Competition Organiser shall not be liable in respect of any non-performance of its obligations by reason of any act of God, civil war or strife, hostilities, act of foreign enemy, invasion, war, satellite failure, legal enactment, governmental order or regulation or any other cause beyond its respective control.
- The Competition Organisers reserve the right to disqualify any entrant for any reason whatsoever in its sole discretion, including those whom the Competition Organisers consider has used improper means to enter and/or win the Competition.
- The Competition runs from Wednesday the 6th June 2012 and has been extended to Tuesday 31st July 2012 and is open to residents of European Union Member States, candidate countries (Croatia, FYROM, Iceland, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey) and European Economic Area Countries only, excluding employees or agents of the Competition Organisers, including RPS Group Limited, their families or other persons connected with this Competition.
- No purchase is necessary in order to enter this Competition.
- The Competition Organisers reserve the right to terminate, vary, cancel or modify the Competition or the terms and conditions of the Competition at any time and for whatever reason and without prior notice. The Competition Organisers are entitled to vary the prize if, in the Competition Organisers’ opinion, the prize would be inappropriate in any way. In that event, a prize of equal or greater value will be offered.
- Any breach of these terms and conditions by an entrant will render his/her entry void. These terms and conditions shall be interpreted in accordance with, and shall be governed by, the laws of Ireland and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Irish Courts.
- The appearance of any video(s) entry at a future event by DG Environment is subject to DG Environment’s discretion
- By entering the Competition, entrants agree that DG Environment shall be under no obligation to exploit distribute, and/or exhibit any video(s) and the entrants shall have no claim against DG Environment in this regards
- Entrants will not reproduce or otherwise use, transmit, share, download, rip or exploit the video other than for the purpose of the Competition and in strict accordance with these Terms and Conditions
To enter the Competition click here
To read more about the Competition click here